Wendy James - Queen High Straight TourNews
Wendy James comes hurtling out of lockdown with the stunning video for ‘The Impression Of Normalcy', from her Deluxe Album ‘QUEEN HIGH STRAIGHT'.
This statement of intent is, in Wendy's words, "a perfect speed-punk moment in the last quarter of the album! Originally I'd written it more in the vein of Nirvana: quiet verse, loud chorus and I guess it was mid-tempo. Having started in on recording rehearsals, James Sclavunos put his sticks in the air, from behind his drum kit and said "Can we speed this fucking song up?" So… we went to the extreme and basically thrashed and shredded this song out, I then edited it down so it's a perfect three and a half minutes of pop speed punk!"
An English singer-songwriter born in London, Wendy exploded onto the British music scene in 1988 as the fearless front woman of chart-topping alt-rockers Transvision Vamp. She was a role model to many young women, showing them women could be mouthy, intelligent, gorgeous and cool, while simultaneously sticking two fingers up at anyone who criticized her. She trailblazed her way through the 90s, opening up a path for women in music to follow.
When Transvision Vamp disbanded, Wendy went on to collaborate with Elvis Costello, James Williamson (Iggy & the Stooges), Lenny Kaye (The Patti Smith Group) and James Sclavunos (Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds), who joins her on drums and percussions for QUEEN HIGH STRAIGHT. Also joining her on this album are James Sedwards (lead guitar), Harry Bohay (bass), Alex J. Ward & Terry Edwards (horn section) and Louis Vause (accordion).
When Wendy James released her 5th solo album QUEEN HIGH STRAIGHT on 1st May 2020 to critical acclaim, she was supposed to be heading out on a UK tour. But as Covid-19 hit and the world went into lockdown, Wendy had to reschedule her tour three times. She will finally embark on a whopping 28-date tour of the UK on 26th August. "From Truro to Paisley and from Norwich to Swansea and everywhere in between!" she exclaims with her infectious enthusiasm. "Not only are we celebrating a return to live venues, we are celebrating my No.16 album QUEEN HIGH STRAIGHT, and also a different set list every night, from Transvision Vamp through all my albums! It's a tour not to miss, and one which will not happen again, like this!"
UK 2021 TOUR DATES
- BLACKPOOL WATERLOO MUSIC BAR - THURSDAY 26TH AUGUST
- NORWICH ARTS CENTRE - FRIDAY 27TH AUGUST
- STOKE SUGARMILL - SATURDAY 28TH AUGUST
- TRURO OLD BAKERY STUDIOS - TUESDAY 31ST AUGUST
- CARDIFF CLWB IFOR BACH - WEDNESDAY 1ST SEPTEMBER
- BRISTOL FLEECE - THURSDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER
- OXFORD O2 ACADEMY2 - FRIDAY 3RD SEPTEMBER
- GUILDFORD BOILEROOM - SATURDAY 4TH SEPTEMBER
- CAMBRIDGE JUNCTION - TUESDAY 7TH SEPTEMBER
- TUNBRIDGE WELLS FORUM - WEDNESDAY 8TH SEPTEMBER
- QUEENS HALL NUNEATON - THURSDAY 9TH SEPTEMBER
- PORTSMOUTH WEDGEWOOD ROOMS - FRIDAY 10TH SEPTEMBER
- GLOUCESTER GUILDHALL - SATURDAY 11TH SEPTEMBER
- BARROW UNDERGROUND MUSIC SOCIETY - TUESDAY 14TH SEPTEMBER
- MANCHESTER DEAF INSTITUTE - WEDNESDAY 15TH SEPTEMBER
- NOTTINGHAM BODEGA - THURSDAY 16TH SEPTEMBER
- LIVERPOOL JIMMY'S - FRIDAY 17TH SEPTEMBER
- BIRMINGHAM O2 INSTITUTE3 - SATURDAY 18TH SEPTEMBER
- LEICESTER FIREBUG - TUESDAY 21ST SEPTEMBER
- NEWCASTLE CLUNY - WEDNESDAY 22ND SEPTEMBER
- GLASGOW KING TUTS - THURSDAY 23RD SEPTEMBER
- PAISLEY ROCKNROLLAS - FRIDAY 24TH SEPTEMBER
- EDINBURGH BANNERMANS - SATURDAY 25TH SEPTEMBER
- SWANSEA CINEMA & CO - TUESDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER
- LEEDS BRUDENELL - WEDNESDAY 29TH SEPTEMBER
- BRIGHTON CONCORDE 2 - THURSDAY 30TH SEPTEMBER
- LONDON O2 ACADEMY2 ISLINGTON - FRIDAY 1ST OCTOBER
- HUDDERSFIELD THE PARISH - SATURDAY 2ND OCTOBER